Yoga & Well-being
More than ever before children of today are facing lots of mental, physical, emotional and spiritual challenges. The pace of everyday life is quickening and this fast pace can be stressful and sometimes leave us trying to keep up.
In a society where childhood obesity and mental health disorders in children and young people are on the increase, 1 in 10 children 5-16 years are experiencing a mental health problem (Mental Health Foundation) and 4 out of 5 children are not getting enough exercise.
Here at Milby Nursery and Kids' Club we are supporting our children be the best they can be. As part of our drive to further improve our provision, we are teaching our children the importance of leading an active, balanced and healthy lifestyle.
We have introduced yoga sessions in to our routine, delivered by a member of our staff team who is a fully qualified children's yoga teacher. The benefits can be:
- Building confidence and increasing self-esteem
- Enhancing attention and listening skills
- Increased development of hand-eye co-ordination and fine motor skills
- Improving gross motor skills
- Develop problem solving skills during partner yoga challenges
- Supports different learning styles and characteristics of effective learning
- Improve breathing regulation in order to calm the mind - a skill to support them to control their emotions, relax or distract themselves